Monday, March 16, 2015

Confuse, Use, and Abuse: Technology as a Teaching Tool

I will begin my blog by recognizing that yes, technology is confusing for many people (myself included at times). However, the best way for people to become familiar with technology devices, tools, and techniques is to simply use it!

When I began the EDUC 4P19 course I took in the previous semester, I was comfortable with some technology, including utilizing applications such as: Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, and eventually Blogger...


But I have come to realize through EDUC 4P29 more specifically, that there are so much more technology resources, applications, blogs, and websites out there!

Teachers may think that utilizing any type of technology in the classroom means they are engaging with 21st century material, but I believe it is more complex than that. Although I thoroughly enjoy programs such as Ted Talks, I would argue that teachers should attempt to utilize more applications/programs that promote higher order thinking skills (HOTS). Students would benefit from such technology programs where they are able to demonstrate critical thinking or creativity skills (ex: Prezi, Glogster, Vocaroo, Blogger etc.)

For this particular blog I have decided to dedicate some time to explore various technology related programs and tools for teachers and/or students. Please join me on my journey as I look for ways I would incorporate different forms technology into the classroom...

VOCAROO is a free service that you can use to create short audio recordings. Creating a recording on Vocaroo is a simple process that does not require you to create an account or have any special browser plugins. One can simply go to the site and click record to get started... You are then able to share the recording with others!


http://vocaroo.com/i/s09y2dBFvXdU

Vocaroo Test 1-2-3



Voice Recorder >>


How I would use Vocaroo: As a History and English teacher, I would use Vocaroo to allow students to share information with others. Students could easily create a "Radio Talk Show" with the recordings to talk about a particular book or event, or promote a school-related initiative.

EDMODO is a social networking website for teachers, students, and parents. It is marketed as the Facebook for schools. Teachers can invite students into private groups that can be used for online classroom discussions, but in a format that keeps the teacher firmly in control. Teachers give students a class signup code, which can be deactivated once all students have signed up, and students in turn are encouraged to share the code with their parents, allowing them to monitor their own child's activity. 

Watch the following video to learn more about Edmodo:



How I would use Edmodo: I would use Edmodo to connect with students.... Students are connected to electronic devices on a daily basis. This program would allow me to establish monthly calendars, send weekly reminders, allow students to submit assignments, etc. I do recognize that not all students have constant access to technology, which is something to consider.

PRODIGY is a free math game for Grades 1 - 8. Students are able to learn over 300 critical math skills through the website's self-paced math game. Teacher's are able to make students accounts (something to consider for Computer Class time in an elementary school). Teachers are able to quickly get an overview of what their students have been working on, identify areas for improvement, and drive changes in the classroom through the reporting feature that updates in real-time.

How I would use Prodigy: I actually downloaded Prodigy yesterday and have been looking into its features. Although I am in the I/S strand, I am currently employed as a Tutor in the Classroom for an elementary school where I am responsible for helping in the area of mathematics. I have enjoyed the content on Prodigy as it is curriculum-aligned, and there are also specific curricula resources for EQAO Grade 3 and 6. 
(Although this program may not be beneficial to all of my readers, I thought it was interesting to share).

QR CODE GENERATOR: A QR Code (it stands for "Quick Response") is a mobile phone readable bar code that can store website URL's, plain text, phone numbers, email address, and pretty much any other alphanumeric data. The QR Code Generator allows people to create dynamic or static QR codes for immediate use. 

Feel free to scan the following QR Code I created: 


qr code


Take a look at Kathy Schrock's blog for links to suggestions and resources on how to integrate QR Codes in the classroom. (Good for a class that is open to BYOD- Bring Your Own Devices). 

I registered an account with Cube for Teachers, which is an efficient website that allows educators to access and store teaching resources and it aligns with the Ontario Curriculum (a valuable resource, which seemed long-overdue). So far, I am enjoying browsing the website and have found it valuable thus far... It is easy to use as well! 

I cannot help but think that when I am a teacher there will be far more new and advanced technology devices and programs available. However, I think it is important for future educators to become familiar with the technology that is currently being used in classrooms, and what COULD be used in classrooms (because there are some classrooms that do not integrate technology). Although I really support technology in the classroom, I believe there should be rules and guidelines set by the teacher/students to create an environment of respect. 

How will YOU integrate technology into the classroom? Outside for an experiment? In gym class? In art class? We all have something to think about! 











2 comments:

  1. Edmodo seems like a great tool to use for the classroom. I agree with you with the fact that we must still consider that there will be students that do not have much access to technology. Some students (even in high school) do not have a cell phone even. My blog discusses QR codes and technology in the HPE classroom, so to answer your question I could use QR codes with various texts, videos, and other sources for the students to solve problems in an "Amazing Race"/scavenger hunt inspired physical activity. I could even incorporate Health into this, as well since Health seems like the bore of the HPE program. Technology truly can make any subject or topic quite interesting and enticing for students.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lots of good ideas here. And of course this is only the tip of the iceberg! You will discover many many more as you go along. It seems like a useful exercise fir folks from different subjects to weigh in on how they could use such resources. Thanks for these described in detail. :-)

    ReplyDelete